Monday, June 25, 2007

Sinking In

It's been about 2 weeks since my good news, and it's finally sinking in that I'm in remission. After being sick for over a year and half, it's incredible to know that I'm cancer free! However it's taking some time to really appreciate it. It does indeed feel like an incredible weight it lifted off my shoulders, because although I have been feeling very good, there are always those "what if" thoughts in the back of your head. Anyways, I haven't done too much celebrating, but have been appreciating and reflecting on the past couple of years, and how great it is to be moving forward finally!

I'm back in California after a nice break in NY. We finished up the dock project that the family was working on up at Paradox, and had some good times playing in a golf tournament on Schroon Lake, and just enjoying being around the family.

Now it's back to work in the lab. I'm trying to balance work, and the chores of everyday life with getting enough rest. I still get tired pretty easily, and try to sleep about 9-10 hours per night, which I find works best. It's also a bit of a test of my immune system working in a graduate student lab, where not everyone will stay home if they have a cough or the sniffles.

So rest is paramount in the next few weeks, because I've got some fun trips coming up. I leave for a conference in Japan in the beginning of July, followed by another trip to NY to cheer on Mike in his quest to become an Ironman, and to sign up for next year!!

Take Care,
-Jeff

P.S. A few pics from home. This is Mike ripping up the Lake Placid bike course, with Adam cheering things on:


Here's the dock. This was a fun project I worked on with my grandparent's, and parent's:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff!
I'm glad to read that you're doing so well!
We "paddled" over to your dock about two weeks ago to see it, but it wasn't finished yet. The picture looks great! We're going to have to "paddle" over again this weekend. Good job.
And, stay well! :)
-Elizabeth

Duane said...

Hi Jeff,
I found your blog a few days ago. Congrats on achieving remission! That's fantastic. Wishing you continued strength and health.

BTW, Dr. Moskowitz is my doc at Sloan too along with Dr. Castro-Malaspina.

Best wishes,
Duane
http://journalofaprizefighter.blogspot.com