Monday, January 12, 2009

24 Month Checkup

It's hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since I checked into Sloan for a 6 week stay in the hospital. Time has flown, and while I was back East for the holidays I had to stop back in for my regularly scheduled 6 month checkup.

I was a little anxious, but eager to head down to to the city and get the CT scan out of the way (2 weeks ago now). All went smoothly. I felt a little woosy as the iodine contrast was injected just before the scan, but I hung in there.

A week later I headed in to visit the doc, and after waiting for about 4 hours in the waiting room, I finally got seen. The CT scan was all clear and looked "great" according to the Dr. Moskowitz. My bloodwork looked normal, and even my white blood cell count was in the normal range for a healthy adult (albeit the lower end of the range).

The most exciting part was that since it's been 24 months in remission they told me it would be extremely rare to have a relapse at this point. It was super excited to hear that!

Lastly, I had to have a couple of immunizations. Since the chemo blast prior to the stem cell transplant killed all my own white blood cells, I lost most of the immunizations I got when I was a kid. So I got a nice kiddy dose of tetanus and pneumovax (pnemonia and meningitis vaccine!). Woo.

2 years ago when I was visiting the hospital on a near daily basis I remember being incredibly jealous of the people making appointments for a date 6 months in the future. I completely enjoy the experience now that it's my turn :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats buddy! That's great news!! Keep on keepin on!

Bassam

Ryan D said...

congratulations bro!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm pleased for you too, for two reasons:
1 my husband had NHL 15-20 years ago and survived
2 I share your surname.

krissy knox said...

Congratulations! My husband John had NHL and MDS (which was soon to turn into AML - Leukemia) if he didn't get a bone marrow transplant (stem cell) immediately, so he did. He has made it five years in January 2010, praise God! I am very amazed in what you do, and proud of you -- for doing the triatholon, cycling, running, hiking, skiing, and other adventures you are doing, including considerng doing a marathon. I'm proud bc many give up after cancer, I've seen it, they get tired and kind of lose their fighting spirit. BTW, I'm writing a blog soon about cancer survivors who haven't given up, and are living their "new normal" in a special way. if you can be involved, please let me know. i would like to feature you and some other survivors. just write "new normal" in the subject line of the email, and in the body of the email tell me you are interested and give me your name. thanks! i'm krissy knox aka fisherkristina@aol.com Thanks. Write if you have ANY questions. God bless you! :)